Saturday 11 February 2012

Blue Butterfly Cake

In my cake classes post I mentioned I was making a 50th cake, well I made it and it came together wonderfully!


I used chocolate mud cake which I had never made before, topped with dark chocolate ganache and then covered with marshmallow fondant. The lady from work I was making it for just told me she liked blue and butterflies, so I ordered turquoise coloured rice paper butterflies online as they're edible, I ordered 56 and ended up using about 12! I was originally going to make the cake completely white but then decided that it might be nice if one tier was blue, it did look really nice! I forgot to put the supports in the bottom layer but I think because I only put the cake together a few hours before the party and because it was a very dense cake it didn't sink luckily! I was a bit annoyed at myself though because I wanted to try out the cake jacks. Anyway, the cake was SO yummy and so moist! I'm definitely using that recipe again. Ganache is delicious as well, my boyfriend was standing next to me stuffing his face full of the cake cut-offs and ganache.


Mixture

It even dribbles deliciously...


First layer of ganache, just to seal in all the crumbs

ganache... oh so delicious

final layer of ganache, I am still waiting on a palette knife so nothing I do is very smooth yet!

I piped buttercream to stick the butterflies on with and put a ribbon around the bottom of the top tier because it was a little bit dodgy!






So messy! I may have forgotten to put on my apron.

Cleaning up, I know most people like to clean as they go... but I'm not most people.

My two little helpers that were staying for the weekend

The party was 70's theme dress-up, so here I was in my 70's best! I wasn't even around then and I think I pull it off okay.

Instagram always makes things look that little bit more special...

 
At the end of the day, the dogs were almost as tired as I was.

The boyfriend piece. The cake was an absolute hit, everyone had a piece and some went for seconds but I was glad that there was enough for me to take a chunk home for the boyfriend. Coffee and cake on a sunday morning, perfect!
I mentioned how I was starting a cake decorating class? Well I went last wednesday and we were being taught the very basics so this is my fondant flower cupcake. Most of the ladies had never heard of marshmallow fondant, just goes to show what you can learn from the internet! Can't wait to learn all the tricks of the trade.

I also whipped this cake up. I tried to make buttercream roses one night after work but it was too hot and it kept melting. I didn't want to waste the buttercream so I whipped up  a cake in about 3 hours from start to finish, hence the dodgy look. Then I was thinking, what will I do with it now? I had a 21st the next day, so I asked her if it would be alright if I brought it so it would get eaten. She didn't even have a cake so it worked out well, she had a cake to cut and I'm happy that it got eaten!


No comments:

Post a Comment